I think Ted Hastings wirte this, it was in HTML and the result was
I couldn't quoted material from reply.

> Most Irish tunes are in D or G, whereas many Scottish tunes
> (particularly those derived from the highland pipes) are in A.

What's happening here seems mainly to be a consequence of the different
pitch of the Irish and Scottish pipes.  Irish pipes are pitched somewhere
near a flute, with D at the bottom and going up more than aoctave from
there.  Scottish pipes have an A near the bottom and don't quite go up
as far.  Which means Scottish tunes tend to be

   in A with the home keynote at the bottom
or
   in D with the home keynote in the middle

while Irish tunes are

   in D with the home keynote at the bottom
or
   in G with the home keynote in the middle.

This is reflected in the design of instruments like the melodeon -
D/A for Scottish music, G/D for Irish music.  (English music is less
standardized, being more local and less literate, but you often find
C/G there).

At any rate, it helps to think of folk traditions as being predominantly
in a *pair* of keys related like that.  Try the wrong instrument for the
idiom with only one of the pair of keys matching and you keep getting run
off the ends.

> One obvious way of finding outwould be to check the tunes against
> Fleishmann's "Sources of Irish Traditional Music", which would give
> an indication of where a tune was first published.  However, this
> isn't always a reliable guide to the actual origin of the tune.

No, it's rather sad, that.  Fleischmann put a phenomenal amount of work
into it but didn't live to debug it properly.  Wish I could afford one
anyway.