On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Lauri T. Aarnio
<lauri.t.aar...@nokia.com>wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2011, at 5:12 AM, ext Han Hartgers wrote:
>
>  Many thanks for the explanation.  I did read about the tools root, but
>> disregarded that as unimportant.
>>

> long time ago it was possible to use "devel" without a separate tools root,
> I think. But obviously that haven't been tested lately, and on the other
> hand, it is a feature which isn't really useful anyway, as we have learned.
>
> I'll try to explain the history of these more complex mapping modes,
> "devel" and "accel", hopefully that clarifies something:

Removed a lot of text

> So, a built-in requirement of "accel" is that the set of tools is built
> from the exactly same sources that you are using in the target. Which is the
> only configuration that can be recommended anyway, as we have learned.
> Alternatively, "devel" can be used, but it should not offer any advantages
> over "accel". (In fact, because I don't know any cases where "accel" would
> be worse than "devel" if the same-codebase-for-both requirement is met, I'm
> planning to drop the aging "devel" mode from the next major version of SB2)
>
> BTW, sb2 will be using the dynamic linker/loader (ld.so = ld-linux.so.*)
> from the tools root in "accel" and "devel" modes. There are some things that
> work better if you apply the patches that are shipped with SB2 and rebuild
> glibc; see external_patches/README for details.
>
> Many thanks for your extensive explanation.  Maybe it would be nice to add
this explanation to the wiki / website for future reference.

I will have to recompile my tools root to get the patches included.  This
should be not too complictated by using the openembedded / angstrom build
system.

Kind regards,

Han