On Thu, 2 May 2002, Radoslav [iso-8859-2] Dejanoviæ wrote:

> What servers do you have? Unix boxes, Windows boxes?
> If you just need to know if the hardware is up and running, make a simple
> script that will periodically ping all the machines, and if they don't
> respond, send an alert. That is as simple as that, but note that it just
> checks health of the server as whole - if some service fails, you won't be
> notified.
> Maybe if you tell us a little bit more about your servers - at least what
> OS they're running and what should be monitored?

Look at a program called autostatus, lets me check ping, and also
TCP services, such as http, snmp, smtp, ldap, etc..  very easy to setup,
and it emails you when
        a service appears to be down(first warning),
        is down(second attempt),
        down for 50 attempts,
        and when it comes back up.

Then you just setup your mail client to page you.

Works quite nicely.  Also outputs a html table listing what's up and
not up.

Mike