Manolo -
Primefaces Mailbox template ---
http://www.primefaces.org/showcase-labs/ui/layoutMailbox.jsf

Its basic but good starting point. They have very rich component suite also
you can look into Primefaces extensions for more layouts and Rich editor
support besides what is provided by Primefaces itself.
The extensions project is hosted here -
http://code.google.com/p/primefaces-extensions/

They also have their entire showcase online.

Slight deviation - following the principles of Zimbra we can easily
(hopefully) we can turn this webmail app into a desktop app like MS OUTLOOK
or Thunderbird by embeding Jetty with Mozilla Prism (is it a dead project i
guess) or some kind of XULRunner.

Also I am available for any consultancy or help on Primefaces, JSF 2,
Spring. I can also do lot of  development as well provided I have a commit
privilege on SVN :) . One big advantage I see using JSF 2 is modular app
development. Please check this link -
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/ModularWebAppsWithJSF2?_sscc=t

This can be further extended with Spring and Ant style configuration.