At 08:33 AM 10/13/2005, Childers, Tedd A wrote:
In my experience, I have found that I have to add considerable weight to
most driver heads just to get a D3-D4 swingweight at 45".

I agree. The driver that I described yesterday was 45.7" with no additional weight. I added just over 10 grams to get it down to 44.5".

...Ideally, one could buy a head at around
210 grams, toss in a 50-60 gram shaft and a 50 gram grip, and you have a
nice 44" driver with a D4 swingweight and a total weight around 310-320
grams.

I would certainly like to see that on the market.

Here's something interesting. If you read Tom Wishon's new book -- or even read his postings -- there are some things that he would like to see done about drivers:
 * Shorter clubs, implying the high-weight head you mention.
 * Higher lofts.
 * No roll curvature (or at least "graded" roll).
I also believe he feels that the big heads make the club more forgiving.

I looked at his driver head offerings early this year, before I made my current driver. Unfortunately, I can't find more than one of these features on any head.

Currently, you have to go with a ~100 gram shaft and a ~200 gram
head to get anywhere close to D4 at 44", and with a 50 gram grip you are at
350+ grams total weight.  The other trend I have found is that some of the
heavier weight graphite shafts are balanced sort of butt heavy, so even
though you expect a higher swingweight at shorter length, you don't actually
get it.  In my opinion, that's te worst of both worlds.

I definitely agree. My most successful 44" drivers in the past had steel shafts. BTW, I liked their balance and overall feel. Even though their total weight was heavy, I never felt like I was losing distance with them.

Hmmm. Maybe I ought to try building up one of those with a modern, 400+cc head. Never did that before.

Cheers!
DaveT