Hi Ted/Dave,

I have been trying short drivers lately with much success.  I've found
that I can put quite a bit of weight into most driver hosels, by using
the round tungsten hosel port weights and sort of fashioning my own
hosel weight port.  Many driver heads have hosel depths much deeper than
the minimum 1-1/4" needed to secure the shaft with epoxy.  I often take
a 6g (about 3/8" long) or a 9g (about 1/2" long) tungsten hosel port
weight and add some lead tape wrapped around it to bring it up to a
diameter to snugly fit the hosel.  The 1/2" lead tape fits exactly the
width of the 9g weight, but you have to trim the width of the lead tape
to fit the 6g weight.  You can usually add a couple grams more into the
hosel by adding the lead tape and it serves to enlarge the diameter of
the tungsten weight, allowing it to fit snugly in the hosel without
rattle, etc.  As long as the hosel is 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" deep, then doing
this still allows proper epoxy bonding between the shaft and the head,
by leaving the minimum 1-1/4".  I just epoxy the combined weight into
the hosel when I install the shaft.

On some occasions I have done this and then also added either pliable
lead tip weights (can usually fit about 3-4 grams additional), or
tungsten powder (about double the weight of the lead, as I recall) down
the shaft, with a cork to add even more weight to the head.  Of course,
I make sure that I don't add weight down the shaft the rises above the
top of the hosel.

This is one way of avoiding the lead tape on the outside of the head,
yet still allowing shorter lengths with today's lighter heads.  So far
is has worked very well and has also allowed me to use much lighter
shafts at 44" and under lengths.  I also prefer this over drilling into
the sole of the head and adding weight in that fashion, which for me is
the last resort.

Dan Neubecker