Hi Stephen,

Stephen Kent wrote:
>> Ok, then I'll continue with mine line of thinking.
>> From the RIR stats files that RIRs publish daily we could get the numbers of
>> distinct resource holders. They are:
>>
>> AFRINIC  1310
>> APNIC    7957
>> ARIN    35380
>> LACNIC   4278
> What is the definition of a "distinct resource holder?" Does this correspond
> to an account with the RIR, or is there some other
> definition?
>> Now, these are only the first level resource holders under RIRs. They all
>> *must* have their own CAs in order to participate in
>> RPKI. However, many of these first-level resource holders are NIRs
> Many are NIRs?

No. You broke the line in the wrong place. I meant "many (NIRs or LIRs)".

> There are no many NIRs in the world, and today the ones in APNIC (the region
> with the most NIRs) act as RAs, not CAs. So it's not
> clear that one should be counting them.
>> or LIRs, who distribute resources further down to their clients. They could
>> choose to manage their clients' RPKI objects within
>> their single CA, but could also give their clients  own certificates,
>> creating next level of CA hierarchy.
> The distinction you cite here is not quite correct. Even if an LIR manages
> RPKI objects for folks to whom that have sub-allocated
> resources, each of those folks is represented by a CA.

Not necessarily. The LIR could create a ROA for client's assignment, using
LIR's allocation certificate.
I'm not saying they should do it like this, but they could. And I have a
feeling that might become a common case.
But I think LIRs could say for themselves. For example, how many their clients
maintain Whois objects themselves, and for how many
LIRs doing it?

> The question is who runs that CA, and whether the CA's pub point lives in a
> different repository.
>> I find it difficult to estimate how many LIRs will do this, and for how many
>> of their clients. But for RIPE NCC I could see that
>> the number of organisation objects in RIPE DB is 70746, and that should be
>> the upper bound of the number of CAs in our region. I
>> don't have that number for other regions, and don't know if it's applicable
>> in the same way, especially where NIRs are present.
>>
> NIRs are probably not relevant in this counting approach.

My point was that it's quite difficult to estimate the upper bound of possible
CAs. NIR or LIR does not matter, I agree.

--
Oleg Muravskiy
RIPE NCC