Hi Steve,

Stephen Kent wrote:
> Oleg,
>> No. You broke the line in the wrong place. I meant "many (NIRs or LIRs)".
> In your text the "many" is distributed over both terms, NIRs and LIRs. You
> should have just omitted NIRs,
> since there are not "many" of them .
>> Not necessarily. The LIR could create a ROA for client's assignment, using
>> LIR's allocation certificate. I'm not saying they
>> should do it like this, but they could. And I have a feeling that might
>> become a common case. But I think LIRs could say for
>> themselves. For example, how many their clients maintain Whois objects
>> themselves, and for how many LIRs doing it?
> I agree that an LIR could behave the way you indicated, but in so doing it
> needs to track which
> other LIRs provide service to the customer in question, in order to generate
> ROAs for each of them. If
> it fails to do so, any connections to other LIRs may be ignored, as the NLRI
> in question will be
> represented by a valid ROA pointing to another AS#. That might create a
> liability for the LIR. That's why
> Section 7.3.2 of RFC 6480 cites this as the least desirable option.
If I understand correctly, you refer to multi-homed end-users here.
In our region such users normally receive a provider-independent (PI) address
space from RIPE NCC directly, so they will have their
own CA and will have to maintain it.

However, there are also many end-users with provider-aggregatable address space
that they received from LIRs. And this is where I
find it quite difficult to continue with estimations, because
- these end-users could still be multi-homed
- or they might need to have own CAs for some other reason
- their LIRs might prefer to give them responsibility for their CA
- or prefer to not give them that responsibility

>From my perspective I do not know any source of data to collect/guess the
>number of end-users who will need their own CA, or the
number of LIRs who would prefer to delegate CAs to their clients. I think LIRs
/ operators might know better. This is what I said in
my previous email.

--
Oleg Muravskiy
RIPE NCC