Stephen Kent wrote:
> Oleg,

>>>   I agree that an LIR could behave the way you indicated, but in so doing
>>> it needs to track which
>>> other LIRs provide service to the customer in question, in order to
>>> generate ROAs for each of them. If
>>> it fails to do so, any connections to other LIRs may be ignored, as the
>>> NLRI in question will be
>>> represented by a valid ROA pointing to another AS#. That might create a
>>> liability for the LIR. That's why
>>> Section 7.3.2 of RFC 6480 cites this as the least desirable option.
>> If I understand correctly, you refer to multi-homed end-users here.
> yes, but not PI space holders.
>> In our region such users normally receive a provider-independent (PI)
>> address space from RIPE NCC directly, so they will have their
>> own CA and will have to maintain it.
> I don't know if that is the most common practice, vs. a PA-space user moving
> from being single-homed to
> multi-homed. This is what the cited text refers to.
>> However, there are also many end-users with provider-aggregatable address
>> space that they received from LIRs. And this is where I
>> find it quite difficult to continue with estimations, because
>> - these end-users could still be multi-homed
> if they are not multi-homed, they are invisible to BGP and thus do not need
> RKI credentials. So, let's
> assume that the entities in question are multi-homed, with a PA space
> allocation.
>> - or they might need to have own CAs for some other reason
> The preferred approach, as noted, is for multi-homed subscribers to be
> represented by a CA.
>> - their LIRs might prefer to give them responsibility for their CA
> agreed.
>> - or prefer to not give them that responsibility
> also an option.
>> >From my perspective I do not know any source of data to collect/guess the
>> >number of end-users who will need their own CA, or the
>> number of LIRs who would prefer to delegate CAs to their clients. I think
>> LIRs / operators might know better. This is what I said in
>> my previous email.
> As best I know, so far we have no LIRs who have gotten this far in the RPKI
> space, so I too look forward
> to hearing from those who are considering this next step.
>
> But, irrespective of this detail, isn't it reasonable to use the number of
> (live) ASes as the basis for
> the number of pub points (CAs)? To first order, any entity that needs to be
> explicitly represented in the
> RPKI is associated with an AS#, whether they are an LIR, a PI space holder,
> or a multi-homed holder
> of PA space (from  an LIR).

I don't know. I see that the 1 AS = 1 CA is often referred as reasonable.
But I do not see why an AS operator, using single AS#, cannot serve multiple
organisations that got their address space from
somewhere else.
So all these organisations will have CAs, will create ROAs, but would not
operate own ASes.

--
Oleg Muravskiy
RIPE NCC