While the advice already given should be very useful and, as described,
'provide the most bang for buck', I am a big fan of what I consider
"guerrilla marketing" - taking advantage of every form of free exposure you
can get your hands on. One of the most effective in my experience, is forum
posting - not spam advertising your business, but making productive,
contributing posts in forums related to the subject matter of your business.
With a signature link to your business, you are providing a direct link to
your business, while presenting a helpful face to public in need. I have
found this can be useful for not only getting direct referal traffic (for
free!) but also can be the beginning of your growing number of website
backlinks.

Then there are all of the other standard internet marketing basics, and a
few things which I just consider standard:

   - Write articles on the general topic of your business (or pay someone
   else to write them for you) and submit them to various article websites
   (Buzzle and ezinearticles are the first two which come to mind). With an
   imbedded link to your website, sometimes these articles will be indexed
   faster and higher than the articles on your own site, and be a way for that
   search traffic to be redirected to your store. More importantly though, it
   provides more backlinks to your website, which eventually add up and help
   make your website top ranker for those key words.
   - Aboutus.org - make a page for your website here. Add enough
   information, verify yourself and get the page set to "follow"
   - Every article you write in your blog should be shared on facebook,
   bookmakers in Delicious, submitted to Stumble Upon, submitted to Digg etc.
   Everyone of those services not only provides a chance of making that article
   viral in one way or another, but it at least creates another backlink to
   that specific article, and every little bit counts.
   - Find blog articles on subjects related to your topic, and comment on
   them (meaningfully again!). This won't help the backlink count as blog
   comments are nearly always "NoFollow" - but if people find your comment
   useful enough, they might click through to see your website.
   - Better still, contact the owner of that blog, and ask if they would be
   willing to post an article you have written. They get free content - you get
   free publicity. Do this to every blog you can find which is related to your
   area.
   - Submit link to DMOZ. And maybe some other directories too. Try googling
   "<mytopic> Directory" and any which come up, submit to them if you can. A
   lot of my early traffic came from a website which just provided a directory
   listing of websites related to my area - so while there are a Billion
   directory websites out there which are worthless, if you can find some which
   come up on Google when searched for in relation to your topic - they have
   already demonstrated their value in your niche.

That's all I can think of for the moment. These require a lot more work than
paying CPC, advertising, or mailing out to email lists (for a fee), but that
is usually the case with free vs paid. If you lack money, but have some
time, then these techniques definitely work.

And if anyone else knows any more cool guerrilla marketing tricks, I'd love
to hear them :)

Shane

http://www.sportarbitrageguide.com/
http://www.tdmskp.com.au