On 8/5/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian  wrote:

> Not so easy for an indian outside india, I assure you - if only because
> other indians actively seek you out and drag you kicking and screaming if
> necessary into the local "community"

i had this neigbour for a while, a kenyan-born indian. he had this
thing going with a
black kenyan girl. his family cut him off (financially), and then cut
him of socially.
the guy retaliated by becoming a born-again christian,and moving into
a flat (next door) with the girl in question.

one day he calls me for dinner and amid his preaching i noticed that
he was forcing himself to eat a fillet of beef (he looked like he was
about to throw up), it wasnt that the beef was bad, (i was eating the
other fillet) but he was trying to make himself to do something out of
the ordinary.

the kenyan girl left him after a while, and the guy had no choice then
but to rever back
to his family - he had no social network, nor a stable financial
outlook (to buy into a new social network), he did have his born again
church (an avenue to build new social contacts...) but the sacrifices
(eating beef for example) required were too alien for him.
he went back to his family.