--- ss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 29 Feb 2008 2:05:18 pm Divya Sampath
> wrote:
> > There is some basis for the argument that the
> legal
> > framework of the Republic of India is not entirely
> > secular - in the absence of a uniform civil code
> for
> > people of all religions, for example.
>
> Absolutely!! And I am certain you know that this is
> not the only reason why
> the Indian constitution is not totally secular.

I realize the thread has drifted into other areas, but
wanted to come back to the point about the absence of
a uniform civil code/ the existence of a bunch of
antiquated personal laws based on various religions.
(Just for the record, by the way, the argument that
the "freedom to practice all religions" clause makes
the constitution biased against Hinduism specifically
is unconvincing, not to mention fallacious.)

There are many grounds for my objections to the
multiple personal laws in India; apart from strong
personal convictions about the separation of religion
from state, they are discriminatory, particularly
against women.

cheers,
Divya