On 3/3/08, Divya Sampath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are many grounds for my objections to the
> multiple personal laws in India; apart from strong
> personal convictions about the separation of religion
> from state, they are discriminatory, particularly
> against women.

Women are usually ignored by state/lawmakers and unless pressured are
treated as the weakest link/pawn in the larger scheme of things.  Its
easier to pay lip service (to gender equality) put chains/controls
around them in the name of culture (or
religion/society/country/what-have-you..) than get the law implemented
instead of the paper tiger it currently is.