On 11/24/08, Srini Ramakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Tania Pérez Bustos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > Hi A friend from Colombia who is coming to the FSFS.in in Trivandrum is
> doing research on creative commons and traditional music and would like to be
> in touch with people working on issues related to that. Can somebody give me
> a hand?

In the grand musical traditions of India there are gazillion - a few
well known (actually there are two major groups in this each with
their significant following in India  - 1) Hindusthani and 2)
Karnataka forms of music (music for music's sake, not necessarily as
an accompaniment to other performing arts)  - both of them could kinda
be called the 'classical'  (for want of a better term) music streams
of India) and other less well known streams, but having their own
significant followng nonetheless. I would call the latter, the folksy
or poorvika (  or 'paarampariya' - roughly meaning 'traditional' as
many tribals would call their music, these days) or 'country' music,
many of them having their own grammer, composers and melodies and
stuff.

I think, like any other 'traditional' music, none of the creators /
composers really bothered about copyrights or royalties or whatever
and they were content with merely sneaking in their names or markers
or signatures, if you will (at best) into their compositions. I think
the desponess with copyright would probably have begun with
bourgeoisie onslaughts. Full marx for guessing, I was once under his
spell and hope I spelled the b word right.

In fact, there have been instances of random guys authoring some
excellent creations and then using the markers of the known composers
- not probably with a view to benefitting financially, but probably to
get them to the audience; may be  this happened elsewhere in the world
too.

I also happen to gnu that there was a PhD dissertation from the
university of Madurai (may be 30 years back? am not sure) that dealt
with the subject of 'rights assertion' or rather the lack of it, in
Indian music systems. Dunno whether I would be able to unearth more
information on this - just a remembrance of thigs post, that's all.
:-(

> http://www.kalakshetra.in/home.html does a lot of research on
>  traditional music and arts, but they are located in Madras, a 1.5 hour
>  flight, or over night train journey away from Trivandum.
>
>  Cheeni

Since Cheeni has already suggested Kalakshetra (which extensively
deals with one of the major streams of music - Karnatic, actually more
so with performing or music-accompanied arts such as dance) which is
in chennai - let me post about an organization (ford foundation funded
one, so should afford to live even now) that I was familiar with
(hauting would be better operative word), just a 1.5 decades back or
so.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten (oh how can i, but when i is thrown in
things really become complex) the name of this illustrious
organization, but it is very near the  Vivekananda college of Mylapore
and on one end of Luz church road and behind the Kamadhenu theatre and
any self respecting chennaiite (oh not veeramani) should be able to
find this out.  (samskriti? samskara? paramapara? the brain fuses. am
blown)

They had/have an incredible and endlessly catalogued and taxonomized
collection of music (all open sourced, sinked) with excellent systems
for listening to them. The most important thing for Tania's friend
would be the (un)fairly knowledgeable folks that inhabit the environs
- folks who are soaked in music, its history, its cultural
anthropology, the works, the queen. This organization can also be a
good starting point.

On the folksy front, near Chennai there is this Irula (plains tribals
of north Tamilnadu) co-op which is also trying, among others,  to
preserve their music. http://www.itwwsindia.org/ would give the
metadata about this. There is this director of operations of ITWWS - K
Krishnan, who would be quite helpful.

There are also teachers of  (non-tribal) music, from the PoV of
non-'classical' streams, in places near Chennai - in Chengalpattu and
Kanchipuram. I am somewhat familiar with a few of these, but with
enough bribe I could dig out more info. Thank god am a man, and so I
have a price.

Gosh,  hope this post doesn't look like some uncommon lisp or
something, what with gazillion brackets...  On second thoughts, I
would extend a warm welcome to Tania's friend with this bouquet of
paranthecated lotus.
((((((((()))))))) - too bored to check whether this will be parsed by
my interpreter.

This too shall parse.

Ramjee, who likes to scheme. buwahahahahaha! (but would rather slink
back to creative coma instead)
--
http://www.qsl.net/vu2sro/
The lyfe so short, the Craft so long to lerne.