much of what i wanted to say abt the noise has been said :).it's all in your
control.

i always try and keep track of all tweets i see.. hence I follow jsut a
handful of ppl.
some ppl i know treat twitter like a TV and various ppl like channels. there
are always many channels on, bt u watch one at a time.. if u dont like one,
u switch. so follow 1 conversation or none as per your convenience.

if you know how to use it, it can really be effective.
I have personally sold some of my photography work, thanks to Facebook and
twitter.