On 10-Apr-11 3:50 PM, Bernhard Krieger wrote:

> Udhay, how much of a "financial burden" do you expect your daughter will be
> when she comes into marriageable age in, say, 15+ years considering the
> current sex ratio and considering that the topic will be more prominent in
> the 2020s?

I don't expect her to be a financial burden, actually. Was that your point?

> Wouldn`t you be more worried if your son had difficulties to find a nice,
> smart, educated, etc. girl-friend / wife?
>
> Isn`t dowry a set of exchanges that might one day tip "in favour" for
> daughters once people start to observe difficulties in their neighbourhood /
> kingroup to find wifes?

Some piece of this is already happening, and has been happening for a
while. I wonder how long it will be before it shows up in sex ratios.

Some more (generally depressing) background reading:

1. A Socio-cultural Study of the Declining Sex Ratio  in Delhi and
Haryana, http://nipccd.nic.in/reports/esratio.pdf

2. Effect of Low Sex Ratio on Marriage Practices: A Study in Punjab,
http://nipccd.nic.in/reports/rcl_lsr.doc

3. The Daughter Deficit — Exploring Declining Sex Ratios in India,
http://publicwebsite.idrc.ca/EN/Resources/Publications/Pages/ArticleDetails.aspx?PublicationID=778