> Shiv: Har, Har, Mahadev (my favorite ACK quote;-))!!!

Just a quick note to document how this "culture" cannot be ignored as local
tradition. When I was pregnant with Himadri in 2009, I went for a routine
ultrasound at 21 weeks that my obstetrician advised due to my "geriatric"
age of 41. At the ultrasound office, there was a sign that read: PLEASE DO
NOT ASK US ABOUT THE BABY'S GENDER. I asked the nurse the history of this
sign and lo and behold, my Vancouver desi brethren and Chinese (largest
minority here) were responsible for this sign being put up. Apparently the
Ultra-sound unit had noted an inordinate amount of interest on the part of
desis and chinese. Can anybody guess why??????!!!!

Also enabling paternity leave does not mean men will take it - the usual
reason of fear for continued employment still holds valid - we personally
know a colleague who lost his job while on paternity leave! I enclose a
segment from the Human Resources Development Canada site on parental leave
(if you hit the link on paternity leave you will see that in practice
paternity leave of several weeks duration is rarely provided). Mike used two
weeks of his overtime hours to stay with me instead of being on 50%
paternity leave:

Parental leave is designed to provide either or both parents with time to
spend with their newborns. For the mother, parental leave provisions
commonly stipulate that the leave be taken immediately after maternity
leave, thereby extending the total leave period. For the father, parental
leave provisions allow time off to help with the care of the newborn;
sometimes collective agreement language that is gender-specific to the
father is referred to as paternity
leave<http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/lp/spila/wlb/wppp/02leave_benefits.shtml#paternity>
.

In a nutshell, what is provided in labour standards legislation ?

   - In all Canadian jurisdictions, employees who meet eligibility
   requirements are entitled to unpaid parental leave ranging from 12 to 52
   weeks.

   - Employees must give notice in writing to the employer a few weeks prior
   to the start of such leave. When they come back to work, employees must
   normally return to their former position or be assigned equivalent duties
   with the same salary and benefits.

   - In ten jurisdictions, the full parental leave is available to both
   parents if they are eligible. However, in Alberta, New Brunswick, the Yukon
   and the federal jurisdiction, parental leave may be shared between both
   parents as long as the total period of leave does not exceed the legislated
   maximum.

   - Some jurisdictions allow employees to continue their participation to
   benefit plans during the leave, provided they make all contributions they
   would normally have made, within a reasonable period of time. In some
   jurisdictions the employee may be required to pay the employer's share of
   these benefits.