Early detection of gender-linked chromosomal disorders
  is a sound medical reason for prenatal gender determination.

  I really don't think you'd want to criminalize that,
  because it would:

      o  Harm some people quite directly

      o  Fail to address the underlying cultural issues

      o  Inevitably result in the creation of a black market,
         with all the risks, shams, and other dangers for
         women that black markets imply.

   Medicine is a complicated subject, and sweeping policies
   and or bans on procedures are very hard to get right,
   even for domain experts.

   Things that sound obvious at first glance aren't,
   and many times what looks counterintuitive ends
   up being best-practice, once we learn a bit more.

   Please give it some thought.

                Cheers,
                -Jon