It is - if and only if that was the only reason such tests were deployed.

And even then there's nothing that stops the doctor from doing the
determination and then advising the mother to, say, abort, or prepare
herself for a child with special needs.

ps: Just in time to restart this thread, we have an indian minister with
another reason for the gender gap not to widen like this ..

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/04/13/indian-minister-says-declining-female-birth-rate-means-well-all-become-gay/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Pinknews+%28Pink+News%29

        srs