From: Deepa Mohan <mohande...@gmail.com>
Sender: silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:55:40
To: <silklist@lists.hserus.net>; Saritha Rai<sarirai...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [silk] Fwd: Life and Love in Bangalore

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM, ss <cybers...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The former conforms to dharma, the latter is adharma.
>
> India went through an even greater transition in the last 70 some
> independent years, second only to the Chinese cultural revolution, and
> yet it's gone unnoticed. Like the silent killer of the night,
> inconspicuous yet deadly.
>
> Cheeni...that was so impressive. I had not thought of it as a cultural
revolution, and that is, of course, what it has been.

But, Cheeni, you criticise Shiv for terming  it "dharma vs adharma"....but
when you call it a "silent killer of the night" (I remembered Bhopal when I
read that)...you too, take a judgemental stance.

I cannot believe that the old system was always good; the concept of family
before self, of duty before self, did, in my opinion, lead to a lot of bad
practices, and deep unhappiness.  This was especially so when a person did
not believe implicitly in this concept.

For better or worse (obviously, you two feel it was for worse), the change
has come to stay. We are now cocooned in individuality; but yet, I feel
that we are quite connected to our families and to our friends.

The question of "who will care for the children" has always been a complex
one, and continues to be so. I, for one, would rather have parents drop off
their children at a night care, even if they are partying, than either drag
them to unsuitable places, or stay at home with them and vent their
frustration on them. I have seen this happen so often in the old family
system. A constant refrain of "I gave up a, b, c, for you, be grateful to
me" is like the Chinese water torture....a constant drip, drip, drip of
mental tyranny.

What is old is familiar, but for that reason, it cannot be held to be
universally good. We just have to accept that many parents today cannot
quit their jobs and be with *their* parents; they have to lead a lifestyle
different from their parents' and they have to accept solutions about child
care, that are different.

Hmm...I wish I was as articulate as Cheeni or Shiv is...I'm just trying to
say, we have to accept the new realities and not hanker after the old,
seeing them through the rose-tinted glasses of selective memory and
hallowed traditions.

Deepa.