Shelley Charlesworth <charleswo...@access1.net>writes:
> To: silver-list@eskimo.com
> Subject: Re: CS & antibiotics
> Date: Tuesday, October 06, 1998 10:32 AM
>
> There was some discussion of whether or not CS & antibiotics cancel each
other
> out.  Did this question ever get answered definitively?

Shelly,
     CS and antibiotics do not cancel each other out.  This is definitive.
You can take it to the bank.
     I do have a question or two for all you shinolas out there in
Listland.  What is the usual metabolic fate of CS?  How long does it last
until it is oxidized to Ag+ ??  And then does it preferentially  form an
oxide (thereby making it an excellent redox catalyst), an ionic salt (e.g.,
to Cl-), a ligand, lock on to any endogenous chelating anions or diols &c.,
or is it simply snatched up by albumin or other protein?  Or even by GSH
(reduced glutathione)?  How would it attack various microorganisms of
interest--especially those that are cell wall deficient?  What about the
odd oxidation states of Tetrasil (+2 and +4) as the oxide and is it truly
antiviral?  Silver salts can be reduced into several allotropes. Is there a
difference in physiological effects?  I can give a pretty good guess at
some of these answers.  Is there anyone else out there who'd like to sort
it all out?

Vincent Gammill