--On 6 September 2007 13:31:59 -0400 faith gagne <jitte...@gis.net> wrote:

I've been taking vitamins and minerals for years, most of them initially
prescribed by an alternative medicine physician who has written a couple
of books on the subject, one of them being "The Vitamin Revolution in
Health Care" by Michael Janson M.D..  He used to have an office here but
moved away several years ago.  I have been adamant about taking the
vitamins suggested/prescribed, and several others too.  I am now also
taking Brewers Yeast Flakes, 2 TB/day.

I would hazard to guess that whatever the causes of your cramps, they are compounded with things going on in your connective tissue associated with compromised copper absorption when taking zinc and vitamin C mineral supplements.

copper is the third most abundant essential trace mineral in the body, after iron and zinc, most people consider it unimportant. Copper is essential for the proper functioning of copper-dependent enzymes. defects of collagen and elastin causing abnormalities in the connective tissue and vascular system can be explained by a lysyl oxidase. it is a component of two of our most important antioxidant enzymes, copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and ceruloplasmin. Chronic marginal copper deficiency doesn't necessarily lower the level of copper-dependent enzymes, it does significantly lower their activity. As an example lets look at lysyl oxidase, one of the most important and best understood roles of copper in the body. This is the main enzyme involved in the necessary cross-linking of connective tissue. Optimal functioning of lysyl oxidase ensures the proper cross-linking of collagen and elastin, vital for the strength and flexibility of our connective tissue. A reduction in lysyl oxidase activity affects the integrity of numerous tissues, including our skin, bones, and blood vessels. In copper deficiency the level of lysyl oxidase isn't altered, but the activity of the enzyme can be reduced by more than fifty percent. Not surprisingly, some of the hallmarks of copper deficiency are connective tissue disorders, osteoporosis, and blood vessel damage.

if you take vitamin/mineral supplements containing vitamin C or zinc pay close attention. This is because convincing evidence has accumulated suggesting that zinc and vitamin C supplements are strong antagonists of copper status and absorption. In the case of zinc, numerous studies have shown that relatively small increases in dietary zinc significantly lowers copper absorption. has subsequently been shown in several human studies that vitamin C supplements of as little as 1500 milligrams can adversely affect markers of copper status, including copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and ceruloplasmin activity.20 While the evidence for benefits from taking megadoses of zinc (>50 milligrams daily) and vitamin C (>1000 milligrams daily) are tentative at best, the negative consequences of poor copper status are well documented and certain. The influence of subtle differences in dietary intakes of copper on human health may be more important than frank copper depletion.

Copper has a role in cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, free radical damage, cancer, inflammatory diseases, immune function, blood lipids, and thyroid function.

Ref:Copper: The Maligned Mineral by A.S. Gissen

http://www.unveilingthem.com/CopperTheMalignedMineral.htm