Those whole house fans seem like a great idea. Our house is older, and doesn't have one. Maybe when we move.

On Oct 25, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Ruth Bertella wrote:

Hiya Wayne & Kathryn,

Kathryn said:>
We have a basement here, as do nearly all of the houses. Lowering the humidity is a big concern, esp in the summer, when the humidity is very high most of the time, and we can't turn on the heat. We do run a dehumidifier at times ($$), but having a little ventilation in the basement has helped a great deal. I got the windows to open (a chore), and my husband put together a fan to fit in one of the opening, drawing air out. Also running a fan down there helps. Maybe we should get central air. Of course, you probably know all this already.

I'm in B'ham, AL (lots of humidity) and have an attic fan which helps tremendously with keeping the house aired out. Have to watch about using it during high humidity though. Also have to be sure at least 1 window is open before turning it on or it'll suck the ashes out of the fireplace into the den!! LOL Found that out the hard way! Not sure if log cabins have attics (depends on builder or owner I guess), but I like using it whenever possible instead of using the air conditioner and having everything closed up all the time. Sure helps the slight mustiness of the basement.

Ruth B.