At 06:32 AM 1/22/2008 -0800, you wrote:

--- joe bloggs <whatserna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ode wrote:
> .....The FDA was formed to get a handle on Cocaine and Opium Patent Medicine salesmen. Their > job was to ensure drug safety because the people were too dumb to not buy into that stuff and
> needed that protection....
> ------
> Sorry Ode, but your take on human nature is a bit tainted. I mean, where did you get the idea > that we all need 'looking after'? I can fend quite well for myself thank you very much and can > well do without the Government or any other regulatory body telling me what is 'for my own > good'. How insulting. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this. In fact, it is > precisely the control freaks and manipulators that have brainwashed people into believing that > they cannot make decisions for themselves. Please don't buy into that pretence, or repeat the
> misinformation.  Thanks.
> Frankie

Now, see, this response to Ode is a prime example of a knee-jerk reaction! I think anybody on this list who has paid any attention at all to Ode's writings must be chuckling at this! Of all the people I've known in my life, Ode would be in the TOP TEN of people who don't believe "we"
need "looking after"!!!!!
##  No, I believe we "shouldn't" need looking after.
The Gov't sees us as children that wants protection they can't pay for and they are for the greater part, correct. Those that don't need looking after *go around* obstacles and don't spend their time complaining about those who aren't helping them "properly"...because..they didn't need the help to start with. The anti kick back devise I was made to pay for makes it hard to cut wood with a chain saw. I take it off so I can *use* the danged thing ..and keep my dumb face out of the way. That "solution" is a clear indication there was a problem that needed solving...but it's a *user* problem where the solution makes the tool virtually useless. An Australian blade cuts wood 5 times faster than an American kick back reducer blade. American blades are ground for safety, not function. Telling clue? If people been using common sense, they'd not have been cutting their heads in half.

But really, it only takes a few noisy complaining idiots to make them protect ALL of us, so, "maybe" MOST of us aren't stupid and those that are, just stand out in the quiet sensible crowd.
The squeaky wheel gets all of them greased.

Ode