Thanks Wayne.

I cannot really move my compost pile. My lot is oddly shaped and there is very little back yard. I started out with a small pile of good loam tucked away in the only corner available, and I have been adding fruit and vegetble bits and waste for 2 years. I add the waste and then I add a little more loam over it...I have a 2nd much smaller pile of loam to add.. I will have to look for some manure to add to it. I can't really turn it over because it is too hard to get to. I water it occasionally. I used some of the loam when I was planting my garden this year. I don't know how rich the soil is. What range in the ph and caton exchange should I look for? I don't know anything about this. Faith G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wayne Fugitt" <cwa...@netdoor.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:23 PM
Subject: CS>Fertilizer Limitations and other things

Evening Faith,

>> At 07:42 AM 6/29/2008, you wrote:
I don't turn it over or anything because it is in a cramped corner of my yard where I can't really get to it.

It appears you need to move it, and add some different items to the pile.
( as Nancy mentioned and suggested )

 Many items  would be free if you search enough.

I guess one can make inferior or superior compost. If your compost is poor and lacking many things, I would not mess with making the compost tea.

Some sources will tell you and some won't, most organic fertilizers are missing one or more nutrients, or very low is some.

With this in mind, use several different sources, brands, or types. Two, three, or more and maybe one will complement the other.

And never overlook the pH and cation exchange ( or cation exchange rate ). If theses are far out of range, no matter what nutrients you apply, the plants will suffer.

You can buy an inexpensive soil test kit and test some things yourself. In some places of the world,. it is possible to get soils tested free. Any you can even send leaves for analysis and find our what nutrients are missing or high or low.

Glad to see you trying to do a good job with your growing. Many considerations exist.

Wayne