I wrote:
> > Next, if you leave the lid off you no longer have a closed system.
> > Distilled water (and your CS), will absorb carbon dioxide from the air
> > and form (I think it is...) carbolic acid.

Indi replies:
> Yes well, the idea that we actually make containers which contain only
> H2O and silver is a misconception, as you yourself have just pointed
> out.

Yes, but your contention that we cannot achieve any kind of effective
air-tight seal is quite misconcieved as well.

I've seen plastic pop bottles filled with water on a warm day in the
fall and left in the trunk of a car over an entire winter, collapse as
the weather got cold, *stay* that way for months even as they underwent
numerous freeze-thaw cycles, and return to their original volume the
first equally warm day in the spring.

I've personally sampled home-canned fruit that was at least 20 years
old and still well-sealed and safely edible.

I've also designed, built and operated vacuum equipment with everything
from O-ring seals and rough pumps to cryo-pumped ultra-high-vacuum
systems with conflat flanges. I'm aware that there are detectable leak
rates across various sealing materials and diffusion of hydrogen and
helium through metals and glass.

All of my experiences back up Ken's off-the-cuff report: Although it's
theoretically possible, in fact inevitable, that some exchange of gas
molecules between the interior and exterior of a filled container will
take place, at near-atmospheric pressures and for all practical
purposes the amounts are NOT significant as long as the seals are
functioning as they're designed.

If you are concerned about effects down in the 10^-12 range, don't
bother. They are not meaningful in this discussion. Nothing we do here
is that precise, nor does it need to be.

> As I said, without proper chemical analysis one cannot be sure of the
> exact content, and it is exceedingly unlikely that what we make to
> start with is pure H2O and silver only, or that the solution stored in
> simple jars will remain unchanged for very long.

Once whatever dissolved gases included in the closed container have
finished doing whatever they're going to do over the first few days,
long term changes appear to be minimal, based on more reports than just
Ken's.

Given how sensitive electrical conductivity happens to be to even
slight changes in conditions or composition, getting two readings even
roughly the same months apart is a pretty strong indicator that things
haven't changed significantly.

In our experience, that's the nature of the beast when you're talking
about conductivity. While the exact value of your readings may not be
all that close to some theoretical ideal measurement, comparative
readings are in fact pretty sensitive to changes.

> That is my point, and I certainly cannot yield it, I'd be lying.

Well, you're welcome to your position, but in the absence of actual
experiences contradicting the rest of us, I'll take a wait-and-see
attitude on your assertions, okay? <grin>

> Anyway, thanks for pointing out my misstatements. I will be more
> careful about that in the future. Not sure if you read the whole
> discussion though, as there was a lot of email I never got the last
> couple of days and I have no way of knowing if all the email I sent got
> through. I think it was Comcast's fault, but am not sure...

As near as I can tell from here, all your posts made it through,
including the one you re-sent when you didn't see it. (Which is
understandable given the circumstances.) Three people have now reported
to me that COMCAST has once again been intermittently blocking messages
from the list server.

Be well,

Mike D.