indi wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:30:36 -0400
Marshall Dudley <mdud...@king-cart.com> wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Arcing produces both NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) and NO (nitrogen oxide). When either contact
water, they form acids. NO2 forms nitric acid, and NO forms nitrous
acid.  If silver is present it will produce silver nitrate or silver
nitrite.
Well, first we are talking very low ppm, or even ppb, and I am not
sure what the threshold of taste is for the acids.  But if it reacts
with any silver, then you no longer have the acid, but a silver salt,
which has much lower taste, so I am not sure if you could taste it or
not.  It would be like a couple of gains of salt in a glass of water.

Thanks for the clarification, you raise some good points. Arcing is pretty easy to avoid, though. I used to work a lot on old
vacuum tube powered audio circuits (though the max voltage in those was
generally 600V or so), so I know a bit about that.

indi

Yes it is, but it may not be that simple. Ol Bob reported elevated oxides of nitrogen with the cone method of HVAC generation, without arcing. Probably due to corona discharge, which is a bit more difficult to identify and control.

Marshall