indi wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:06:47 -0400
Marshall Dudley <mdud...@king-cart.com> wrote:

Any arcing, whether from the HVAC or from lightning, will product nitrous oxide and nitric oxide. The amounts in air are minute from lightning, but can be quite high concentration if produced in arcing with HVAC method. Thus the amount of nitrate produced will be very small if from lightning.

Thanks. I thought maybe there was something more exotic and potentially
harmful of which I was unaware. Basically then, the danger is
just formation of NO2 from oxidation of nitric oxide?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Arcing produces both NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) and NO (nitrogen oxide). When either contact water, they form acids. NO2 forms nitric acid, and NO forms nitrous acid. If silver is present it will produce silver nitrate or silver nitrite.
If I'm not
mistaken one can taste and smell that, so a person wouldn't be likely
to ingest much.
Well, first we are talking very low ppm, or even ppb, and I am not sure what the threshold of taste is for the acids. But if it reacts with any silver, then you no longer have the acid, but a silver salt, which has much lower taste, so I am not sure if you could taste it or not. It would be like a couple of gains of salt in a glass of water.

Marshall
Cheers,
indi