On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:39:24 -0500
"Ruth Bertella" <berte...@lfdcbham.com> wrote:

> Wow...  now we are crazy, irresponsible, loonies because we believe
> in CS?!?!  Proof or no proof, WHO CARES...  WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT
> MAKE?

WHY ALL THE CAPS, LOL?

Seriously, it may make a vast difference if one cares about the
well-being of people in general. Like my Mother, for whom "the doctor
said so" is right up there with "it's in the bible". Or my best friend,
dead now because the doctors were "the authority", and I with my silver
was "crazy" and "probably experiencing a placebo effect".

Yes, I'd like to see a community of caring people who are not
anti-intellectuals attempt to nail down enough credible,
scientifically-oriented evidence to make a compelling case that could
then be taken seriously enough to prompt some federal grant for
further investigation which might yield some compelling scientific
facts. I'd like to see people come away from the doctor's office with
knowledge of CS rather than a prescription for some corrosive chemical
concoction which will do harm for which they will require another
visit, another prescription...
Of course, some people don't care about all that. The planet's
over-populated anyway, right? I'm healthy; screw them, right?

But for those of us who do care, anti-intellectualism is not the answer.

indi