  From: indi
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 11:39 AM
  Subject: Re: CS>Measuring or Guessing

  On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:39:24 -0500
  "Ruth Bertella" <berte...@lfdcbham.com> wrote:

  > Wow...  now we are crazy, irresponsible, loonies because we believe
  > in CS?!?!  Proof or no proof, WHO CARES...  WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT
  > MAKE?

  WHY ALL THE CAPS, LOL?

  Seriously, it may make a vast difference if one cares about the
  well-being of people in general. Like my Mother, for whom "the doctor
  said so" is right up there with "it's in the bible". Or my best friend,
  dead now because the doctors were "the authority", and I with my silver
  was "crazy" and "probably experiencing a placebo effect".

  Yes, I'd like to see a community of caring people who are not
  anti-intellectuals attempt to nail down enough credible,
  scientifically-oriented evidence to make a compelling case that could
  then be taken seriously enough to prompt some federal grant for
  further investigation which might yield some compelling scientific
  facts. I'd like to see people come away from the doctor's office with
  knowledge of CS rather than a prescription for some corrosive chemical
  concoction which will do harm for which they will require another
  visit, another prescription...
  Of course, some people don't care about all that. The planet's
  over-populated anyway, right? I'm healthy; screw them, right?

  But for those of us who do care, anti-intellectualism is not the answer.

  indi