Neville wrote:

"maybe now's a good time to slip in a simple question, looking for a
simple answer. CS generator containing 1 led and 1 resistor in circuit,
is this current controlled or voltage controlled or both?"

If the circuit is powered by a battery or a wall transformer, this is
what makes it voltage regulated.  Not very good voltage regulation, but
adequate for the use.

The resistor, if sized properly, will have the effect of "limiting" the
current since, as the current increases, it will cause some of the
available voltage to be "dropped" across the resistor (some voltage is
used forcing current thru the resistor) and less voltage is available to
do work across the CS cell.  This has the effect of turning down the
total voltage across your cell.

Strictly speaking, this would not be "current controlled," but just
"current limited."

Dan