On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:59:07 +1030
"Neville" <nevillem...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> -I'm going to put 4 banana plugs in one of my boxes one day so I have
> 4 electrodes instead of 2.  Effectively this would shorten production
> time when making a 2 litre batch, which is probably the only time I
> would use it.

An interesting idea you and Steve have brought up.
I hope you'll let us know what the results are.

>I've decided it is not viable to make too much only to
> be put in storage, (for the purpose I use it that is), as the
> ionic/particulate ratio changes during stabilization time frame and I
> want to keep that change to an absolute minimum.  I know there is a
> lot written about particles and surface area but I have my own views
> on that. Now as you know, I am not a sparky hence I know nothing
> about electronic gizzmos and gadgetry but is there a way to determine
> the rpm of a computer fan?   I have a, dare I say, 'mains power/DC
> converter variable voltage regulator', (yeah I know, I am probably
> phrasing it wrong again <g>), and would like to work out the rpm of
> my magnetic stirrer at the various voltage settings.  I think you
> call these 'wall warts' or something?  No dramas if it can't be done
> as I only have a welder, a hammer and a screwdriver in my electronics
> toolbox, (I've found the hammer to be quite useful though) <g> Just
> thought I would ask.
>
> N.

A wall wart is a power supply transformer and mains plug in one
unit.

Hopefully there's still a part number on the fan. If so, you can
google the specs and find the rpm and voltage ratings. Of course, you
could also just use a potentiometer to vary the voltage and eyeball it.
Very generally, I think the spec will usually be something like 12k to
20k RPM at 5VDC (I can't remember the amperage, but a quick check of a
compatible computer power supply will give you that) for many computer
case fans. BTW, you may find the torque required to move an object
through liquid to be too much for that kind of motor, but I could be
wrong about that. Shaft balance is a big deal for the bearings, too.
But if you've already got the parts, you could give it a shot.

Cheers,
indi