On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:14:19 -0800
Malcolm <s...@asis.com> wrote:

> I thought the fleas on the carrier rats were the vectors, "yes"? "no"?
> Rats lead a tough life, no doubt. . . <g>

Yes, it's the fleas that actually carry plague.
I love rats. The rats I kept had such sunny dispositions; they really
are very admirable creatures who get such a bad rap in most cultures.
And they are so much smarter than you would think, too.
Unfortunately, they only live two or three years, and after a few years
the heartbreak of losing them so often just became too much, so I never
replaced my last one when she died.

Cheers,
indi