Although there are rare individuals truly sensitive to DMSO it is not at all a common occurrence. Always a good
idea to patch test *any* new substance though.

The subject of sulfur allergy has come up and it depends on the form of sulfur. It is a common misconception that allergy to sulfite or sulfa drugs is a "sulfur" allergy. This is a misnomer.

Sulfur is a component of all protien containing foods. One can not live without sulfur. It is in fact the most abundant mineral in the human body.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/69144.php
"Being told that one is "sulfur allergic" commonly causes confusion, as many people wrongly assume that they will be allergic to multiple sulfur-containing medicines or sulfite preservatives. It is important to know that sulfur is an important building block of life, and that allergic reactions to sulfonamide (sometimes called "sulfur") antibiotics do not increase the likelihood that a person will also be allergic to sulfur powder, sulfite preservatives, or non-antibiotic sulfonamide medicines like some pain killers or diuretics ("water tablets"). "

Garnet

Clayton Family wrote:
Yes, you really have to give her the albuterol if she can't breath. It is the only thing to do. If it were me, I would use EIS or cs in the nebulizer, with no DMSO at all. Some allergic people are very sensitive to sulfers, so I would not chance it.

I would really really talk to the doctor about the use of the steroid inhalers. They all seem to love them, but they are of no use for wheezing. They say they are to be used to reduce the inflammation in the long run. However, if asthma is related to fungal infections as more recent research indicates, it might only serve to increase the infection, if there is one. Steroids can not be stopped cold turkey, though, since the body becomes adapted to them.

My home made CS helps my asthma a great deal. I grew up with asthma from the age of 2, so I know what your daughter is going through.

Best Wishes,

Kathryn