I have always found it quite interesting and amazing that stuff like this
can be so powerful and corrosive, yet it can be stored in a plastic bottle!

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Ode Coyote [mailto:odecoy...@windstream.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:17 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>Sore throat...

  ##  Meaning that..... if you dipped a hand in 100% H2O2, you'd pull back
a stump.
It is, quite literally.... "rocket fuel" ....and is also a very powerful
organic oxidizer.

The Bell Rocket Pack uses 80>100% H2O2 sprayed over a grid of silver wire
[catalytic bed] to instantly produce high pressure steam as a propellent.

http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~teney/h2o2propulsion.htm
You'll find here some stuff related to rocket propulsion using hydrogen
peroxide (H2O2). For the newcomers, hydrogen peroxide is a colourless,
dense (1.36 at 85%), corrosive liquid, storable at ambient
temperature/pressure, that can be used as oxidizer or monopropellant in
rocket engines. It's only useful at high concentrations (> 80%), but
unfortunately, such concentrated product isn't commercially avalaible, and
has thus to be manufactured from lower concentration product. I personnally
achieve this by selective evaporation, at moderate temperatures for safety.
This is a potentially dangerous operation, since peroxide vapours can be
explosive, and it should surely not be undertaken by anyone.

I've started designing an hypergolic hybrid rocket motor, which burns
polyethylene and uses 85% hydrogen peroxide as oxidizer. Hypergolic
ignition is achieved using a consumable catalytic bed, mainly made of
potassium permanganate. It decomposes the peroxide as soon as it is
injected in the combustion chamber, creating a stream of superheated steam
and oxygen, which then causes the polyethylene grain to auto-ignite. As far
as I know, this motor is (one of ?) the first amateur hydrogen peroxide
hybrid in the world.

Ode