Out of curiosity, I looked up a site that explained the various methods of
producing baking soda.   None of them involve aluminum.   For this reason, I am
comfortable with any brand of baking soda as long as it is not made in China.
I would then be concerned about lead, melamine, or other odd contaminants.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Baking-Soda.html

Am I missing anything?

Why would one choose to disbelieve one maker, yet believe another?   Don't they
all have the same interests?   That is, producing a product for which they can
sell at a profit?   Making sure the product is what they say it is so that they
maintain their reputation?

Now, baking soda is sometimes confused with baking powder, a totally different
product.  Some baking sodas are made with aluminum salts.  Is this causing some
confusion with baking powder?