In addition to the below, there is no real assurance that the baking soda that is sold as being better than Arm and Hammer is not made by Church and Dwight. It makes sense to me that ALL U.S. produced baking soda is refined by Church and Dwight, because I live where it is mined and produced, and all the Trona mines here sell soda ash to Church and Dwight. Church and Dwight does not mine their own soda ash (the raw ore is called Trona).

There is also soda ash produced by chemical processes, that is not mined. So far as I know to date, the only natural deposits of Trona are the one here in Wyoming, which I believe is the only commercially viable site. There are Trona deposits in China also but last I heard they are not being developed yet, also the method of making soda ash chemically uses salt, and carbon dioxide or monoxide from coal and a LOT of energy to make it. Still it is now cheaper in Europe and China to produce it from the solvay process than to ship in mined soda ash, because of shipping costs. At least that is my current understanding.

Trona mines are very deep, and costs to develop mining are probably now prohibitive. Since there is plenty of soda ash produced in the U.S. in Wyoming, and it would very likely be prohibitively expensive to ship in solvay process soda ash or refined baking soda from either Europe or China, it is probably the case that ALL the baking soda in the U.S. is mined here and refined by Church and Dwight. If the source of the more expensive supposedly more pure baking soda is solvay process soda ash from Europe (could as easily be from China), then I still don't see any advantage to buying it, because there is really no guarantee it is any purer. But there are always people who will believe any kind of marketing hype, and will always think it something costs more that proves it is better.
sol