Well, I should have read *all* the messages before responding.  Sigh.
MA

________________________________
From: M. G. Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 1:20:30 AM
Subject: Re: CS>washing jars?

Greetings Beth,

You're asking good questions. Keep it up and you'll be able to shed the
"beginner" status sooner than you think! <grin>

About the only thing I'd add to your procedure is to rinse the inside
of the jar with a slosh of distilled water at least a couple of times.
This will help remove any soap residue left from the dishwasher and
make it less likely to contaminate your CS.

The only other suggestion I might make is to ask, why wash them at all
between uses? (Before first-use is reasonable, of course!) If the jar's
been kept closed except when dispensing, you've not allowed anything to
contaminate it, say, by drinking out of the jar or dipping it out with
contaminated utensils, then what exactly is going to be 'dirty' that
needs cleaning out?

After a while the inside of my brewing jar turns a bit yellow, but it
seems to stabilize at some point. The product remains consistent by
observation and effectiveness, so not having a pristine or fresh
surface for each new batch doesn't seem to be an issue..

Given what silver is *for*, I don't imagine anything being able to
*grow* in there, do you? <LOL>

So, I think what you're doing is not wrong, but might be a bit more
elaborate than is needed. Once you've got the basics right, it's
actually pretty hard to screw this up.