I no longer use electrodes. I also used electrode pads for a while, but skin envetually got irritated by the adhesives. My hand-holds were gold-plated, I believe. Haven't looked at them in almost 5 years since getting an ABPA A2 to deliver the frx. I chose to be untethered. Makes normal life easier and 24/7 treatment possible, except when unplugged on the road. Then I use the ABPA A2 (battery-driven, then) for balancing only. I plug in the FScan when we get into new campground and then go on my merry way, wherever. Léna