Hi Renée,
I've used mine effectively with hair samples in the input well. I just update the sample every few months.

I'd use the ABPA A2 exclusively for convenience sake, and it's got about 1000 pages of programming in it, but the complexities of Lyme have proved to require more so I use the FScan most of the time as well, with the ABPA A2 as a holding/balancing pattern for when I don't have electricity. Sometime, I may stop the FScan for a couple months' test and see what happens. After 45+ years of Lyme, I'm unwilling to lose any ground at the moment. Be well,
Léna