Steve,

I cannot answer your bacteria question, I am not qualified. At UDel, the bac-t
studies discussed in Ron's book were conducted by a biochemistry professor in
the medical technology department.

Clearly, much needs to be done, but it takes money.  I have funded our
research for several years now and there are financial limits to what I can do
alone. I am in the process of launching a non-profit research foundation whose
purpose will be to fund such research at universities and private labs.

With regard to filtering, in our lab we use centrifugation. We have a
centrifuge that can go as high as 20,000 G forces while processing up to 4
liters per minute on a continuous flow basis. The unit is made by Carr
Separations, now owned by Kendro Laboratory Products. There product is called
the Powerfuge. It is an industrial strength unit, not suitable for the home
hobbiest due to its cost. But for commercial operations or laboratories,
having the ability to set separation G forces at an infinitely variable level
permits particles to be separated out down to the nanometer range.

When we have needed to do filtration, we use polycarbonate membrane filters
and vacuum filtration apparatus. They do not add contamination to the
filtrate. We use coffee filters only for coffee.

frank key