I am still confused:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/buzzard
buzĀ·zard  (bzrd)  n.
      1. Any of various North American vultures, such as the turkey vulture.

http://www.accutek.com/vulture/buzzard.htm

The name buzzard is given to a miscellaneous assortment of scavenger birds--six
New World vultures belonging to the Cathartidae family are often called
buzzards--but in a more restricted sense the term applies to many Old World
hawks, family Accipitridae, that may or may not be scavengers. An example is the
European buzzard, Buteo buteo, closely related to the American red tailed hawk.

It appears that buzzard is a vulture in the US, but a hawk in Europe.

Marshall