At 11:19 PM 14/11/04, you wrote:
Whole grains are loaded with trace minerals like silicon which are not
that easy to get in your diet. It is also in onions, best eaten raw.
Without Si the absorption and utilization of Magnesium and Calcium are
much impairted, with adequate Si there is little need for
supplementation of Mg and Ca given a diet rich in dark green leafy
vegetables and nuts, seeds or seaweed (a dark leafy green vegetable).

Studies done in Thoroughbred Race horses, both brood mares and their
foals and two year olds in training (both high risk groups) bears this
out very well. Even a non-plant based form of Silicon lowered the injury
rate and shortened healing times in all experimental groups over
controls feed an ordinary commercial equine diet.

Eating lots of onions makes my fingernails grow much faster and thicker.
Si could be the key to rampant Ca and Mg deficiency syndromes. It is
whole grains but not in processed grains.

Garnet

I sometimes think we should always write it as : "WHOLE GRAINS BUT NOT WHEAT" or WHOLE grains NOT Wheat, to get the message through. There is also an overlooked idea that the old nutty vegetarian traditionalists got it right - the modern steel rolling mills wreck the grain entirely - too efficient. Stone ground meal is much coarser and full of grit probably - the difference in "working" it to make bread and the taste is really dramatic.

As to what the old oldies really ate:
Those from the Caucasian groups ate an amazing old grain called Spelt. "Wheat" that most eat is a fake. Nothing at all like real wheat.
The three common harvested types were:  Spelt, Rye and Oats.

The BIG question is: Why/how did we come to be eating such difficult to process and use ( MUST be cooked) grass? Hypothesis will be up on MATRIXIDE ( very O.T.!) shortly.

Himagain Just eaten the first of the season organic mangoes....... what magnificent restraint I showed! Heroic effort! Only ate 3!