Doesn't surprise me for a CS maker/consumer/user to have a cold, I caught one last fall that lasted 4 weeks in spite of all manner of uses and consumption of CS, CS/Xylitol, and everything else people here suggested to me. Oral use does not always stop the viruses and bacteria, I found out the hard way that misting my eyes and hands religiously when I am out in public or as soon as I return to my car is the only thing that prevents me catching respiratory bugs. I had slacked off not only on that misting practice but on almost everything else at the same time. However during the period when I caught the cold, I was drinking a lot of CS daily. So I am really confident that oral use of CS does not stop the cold virus, for me. Additional confirmation is that I also caught a cold early on in my oral daily use of CS, before I started misting eyes and hands, but had not gotten one in two years, until I slacked off on the misting.

Anecdotal evidence from this list shows that oral CS does indeed seem to prevent or quickly cure colds and the like for most CS users, but certainly not all. Too many variables to say for sure why that is.
sol