John,
Probably the mention of detergent refers to possible allergic reactions. In many if not most eczema sufferers of any age, the eczema is due to allergic reaction. My son, as an infant had eczema from fabric softener. In later childhood he had severe eczema of the hands from washing his hands with plain ivory bar soap. The point being that even products advertised as gentle (and hypoallergenic ? as Ivory soap was then said to be-can't recall if the mfr claimed it was) can cause reactions. It is important not to assume "natural" "gentle", "unscented", "hypoalloergenic" products will never be an allergen to anyone. My experience is that anytime an allergic reaction is currently going on, one is far more susceptible to "catching" other illnesses/infections, as well as to developing additional allergic reactions, some of which may go on to become new permanent allergies. Immune function seems to be compromised during allergic reactions.
sol

As regards waashing detergent, why should that bring on infection by herpes (or strep)?