"Mercury is a liquid metal !!  In the second place, there are silver FILLINGS,"

Fifteen years ago, I had just had my last "silver" filling done.  Probably
sixteen of them.  Chit chatting with dentist after last marathon session, I
asked him what was in the fillings.  He listed the ingredients.  Bit of a
pause.  "And mercury."  My jaw dropped; I stared at him in horror.  "Mercury!"
I had no idea.
Over the last couple of years I've had them out by a dentist who used all the
safest methods, with a thing on my nose dispensing oxygen to make sure I didn't
get the fumes and stuff up my nose, I suppose.  This dentist's wife died of
Motor Neurone Disease recently.  One of the things that weighed on his mind was
the connection that has been made between mercury and this cruel illness.
Was at my homeopath today; not a lot wrong with me any more.  Only two probs
showed up - candida and mercury.
Not a lot of metal left in my mouth, just a bit of shiny stuff behind a false
front tooth attaching it to the other front tooth.  I asked this enlightened
dentist (not the one who put it in) what was likely to be in this metal.  "I
can't tell you, Rowena," he said.  "For all we know it might be a bit of melted
down car bumper bar from Bosnia."  (Why Bosnia?  Dunno.)
Quite what was happening in my mouth with the metal fillings I shudder to think
- but it felt electrical.
One day I'd like to sort out some other way to fill the gap in front than a bit
of plastic hiding a bit of old scrap metal.  Don't know what, though.

So what's in gold fillings, I wonder - besides gold?

My previous dentist championed amalgam, "used for centuries", he said, though I
understand the formula has been changed for the worst in recent times anyway -
so much for "centuries"!.  At my requeest, he supposedly removed the amalgam
from the bicuspid next to my eye tooth, which had been making my tooth look
dark and horrible whenever I smiled.  When the filling was done, he said, "The
amalgam has stained the tooth".  Oh well.  Tough.  It didn't really look any
better than before.

When the "good" dentist removed the "new, white" filling from this particular
tooth, he told me that the other dentist hadn't actually removed all the
amalgam.  I couldn't help wondering whether it was because it was too dangerous
for him.  I could not believe that he was ignorant of the problems with
amalgam, yet he spouted the party line to me about amalgam's safety, though in
a very uncomfortable manner.  I quite frankly don't think he believed it.
I certainly didn't.  But I'm very polite.  I didn't contradict him.
But I never went back to him, either.

Rowena