In the on-going discussion of pH and calcium, various
ideas have been expounded for resolving unbalanced pH.
The standard resolution proposed by most natural
health practitioners today revolves around so-called
"acid-ash" and "alkaline-ash" foods. The allopathic
medical industry pays scant attention to the subject
at all until extreme conditions – such as acidosis -
occur.

Recently the idea of excess calcium has been
presented, which prompts me to post information drawn
from my own training. The ideas I share here come from
the teachings of the late Dr. Carey Reams, biochemist
and biophysicist.

I had been involved in seeking information about
nutrition and alternative health for several years
before finding Ream’s teachings, and I used to wonder
about the various types of calciums I saw in the
Health Food stores. Calcium carbonate, lactate,
citrate, orotate, ascorbate, phosphate, sulphate,
aspartate, hydroxyapatite, etc. Was one form of
calcium better than another? Or should I just buy the
cheapest one? Is it possible to take too much calcium?
Can calcium hurt you? Do the various kinds of calcium
affect the body in different ways? How can I determine
which kind of calcium is what I need?

Dr. Reams was the first person I had ever seen who
divided calciums into groups, based on the differing
ways they affected the body. He spent over 50 years
studying and researching the affects of various
calciums and other minerals in the human body. He
found that there are essentially three categories of
calciums to be considered: Alkaline-pH calciums
(calcium hydroxide and carbonate, which includes Coral
calcium), Acid-pH calciums (calcium lactate being the
most common) and neutral-pH calciums (calcium citrate,
aspartate, gluconate, hydroxyapatite, etc.). "pH", as
used here, refers to the acidifying or alkalinizing
effect upon the body. I am also including only calcium
types in the above examples that are commonly
obtained.

The body needs calciums from each of these groups in
order to achieve balance for good health. Frequently
people have an adequate amount of one kind, but a
deficiency of the other (although it's certainly
possible to be deficient in all of them). The balanced
presence of both acidifying and alkalinizing calciums
is important because the interaction between the two
is how both kinds are assimilated. Without enough of
one kind, there is poor assimilation of the other.

Dr. Reams used to say that we don’t live off the food
that we eat, we live off the energy from the food we
eat. If our bodies don’t extract energy from our food,
we find ourselves eating more food to try to get more
energy. We also start to get sick.

Imagine taking a cup of vinegar and a cup of baking
soda. If you dump them together in a bowl, you will
see a lot of energy released. But if you were to pour
together a cup of baking soda and only a teaspoon of
vinegar, there would not be much energy released,
because of the uneven ratio between the soda and
vinegar.

In the same way, our bodies use both types of calciums
in metabolism (acidifying and alkalinizing). If you
are deficient in acidifying calcium (calcium lactate),
it will express itself as an apparent excess of
alkaline calcium, and you will have an alkaline pH
(calcium "deposits" are nearly always one type of
calcium accumulating somewhere in your body because of
a deficiency of the other). Dr. Reams taught that, on
a practical basis, there was no such thing as too much
calcium, only too much of one type or the other. The
purpose of pH testing is to determine which type you
are deficient in. The pH testing can be done with good
pH paper (must measure in .2 increments, not .5
increments – more on that later).

The alkalinity or acidity of your urine or saliva pH
is not primarily a reflection of the foods you eat. It
is an indication of your calciums ratio. The
implications of unbalanced pH are significant. People
with acid pH have overly fast digestion, and their
bodies can’t get much energy from their food. They
tend to struggle with diarrhea, and frequently have a
low body temperature. Ultimately, excessively acid pH
can be a precursor to certain types of cancer,
diabetes, arthritis and osteoporosis. They have weak
insulin and high blood sugar. Conversely, people who
are overly alkaline have very slow digestion. They are
usually constipated. Their body temperature may be too
high. Depending on other factors, overly alkaline
people tend towards heart disease, hypoglycemia,
parasites and colon cancer. They have overly strong
insulin, which depresses their blood sugar. The
current, popular teaching that alkaline is better than
acid would be strongly contested by Dr. Reams. In
practicality, grown adults who have overly-acid pH
(below 6.0) are deeply demineralized and would find it
a challenge to become too alkaline. I am generalizing
on the various health issues to be seen with folks
with unbalanced pH because there are other qualifying
factors that affect them.

The importance of balancing your pH cannot be
over-emphasized. If you are unbalanced, other healing
therapies have only limited and temporary benefit.
When the body has a balanced ratio of both kinds of
calciums, it extracts a large amount of metabolic
energy from both of them, which it uses to maintain
the body’s health. Dr. Reams taught that our bodies
use more calcium each day, by volume, than all other
nutrients put together.

Nowadays, the most common kind of calcium you will
find being sold is an alkaline-pH calcium, calcium
carbonate (usually ground-up oyster shell). Most
multi-vitamin/mineral supplements use it, and wherever
you see those labels which announce "Calcium added!"
(whether in food, drink or supplement), it is nearly
always calcium carbonate. (Being ground up oyster
shell, it is the cheapest form of calcium available.)
Most acid-indigestion supplements are made of this
calcium (Tums, Rolaids, etc.). This would be okay,
except that oyster shell calcium carbonate is
extremely difficult to digest and assimilate (much
like eating chalk). Not all adults and very few
children need to take alkaline-pH calcium (and
especially commercial calcium carbonate). So if a
person's metabolic pH is already too alkaline
(indicating a deficiency in acidifying calcium),
taking alkaline-pH calcium will only aggravate the
health problems which can be caused by having an
overly-alkaline metabolic pH. Remember, the goal is to
achieve balanced body chemistry.

Another source of calcium carbonate is bone meal,
which is decidedly preferable to oyster shell, but
must come from healthy, organic, free-range cows.

I have not touched on neutral pH calciums so far
because they do not impact the body in as significant
a way as the other calciums do. They are low-energy
calciums that make them very easy to digest and
assimilate, but are used up by the body very quickly.
Dr. Reams said that the body could use up 1,000 mg per
hour of neutral pH calciums. I use them in my practice
as an added calcium simply to give the body more
easily-assimilated calcium. They are also useful to
give to infants, frail and sick folks and people with
very poor digestion who would have difficulty
metabolizing other, higher energy calciums.

When I have my clients perform pH testing to determine
their pH and calcium needs, I have them test urine and
saliva, morning and evening for six days. The reason
to test for six days is that certain metabolic
conditions (i.e., the degree of system
demineralization) causes the pH to fluctuate,
sometimes wildly. Many times I have seen someone with
steady acid pH who have what we call a “spike”, where
the pH jumps up into the high alkaline zone one
morning or evening, only to resume its regular acid pH
later. Other people are so demineralized that their pH
readings follow no pattern, and jump all over the
place without rhyme or reason.

Another divergence from standard natural health
philosophy: The pH scale goes from 0-14, so in the
laboratory, balanced pH would be 7.0. Dr. Reams taught
that this was true for chemicals, but in the human
body, balanced pH was 6.4. While most natural
practitioners would be happy to see someone with a pH
of 7.0, I would see them heading towards a number of
significant health problems. This is also why pH paper
should measure in .2 increments. With standard .5
increment litmus paper, you would not be able to
determine 6.4, and indeed a 6.5 reading on litmus
paper could actually be as high as 6.9.

Why urine AND saliva? According to Reams, the saliva
pH indicates the state of the minerals in the body
(also the quantity and even which minerals). An overly
alkaline saliva pH indicates the body’s minerals are
“floating around” and are not being utilized. It also
indicates what is left in the body’s “mineral reserve”
(what a person was born with to draw from). The urine
pH indicates the amount and kind of minerals leaving
the body. When both urine and saliva are 6.4, it means
there are adequate minerals to meet the body’s needs,
and the correct amount of mineral debris is leaving
the body.

You may notice I discuss calciums and the rest of the
minerals almost interchangeably. This is because pH
measures both of them.

A last point of importance: During our lives, pH
follows a predictable course. A healthy new-born baby
will have double 6.4 pHs (urine and saliva). As this
child grows up and his health suffers from the
standard North American diet (mineral-poor foods that
cause a demineralized condition in his body), his pH
will become double-alkaline. Later it will become acid
urine/alkaline saliva, then acid saliva/alkaline
urine, then double acid, then death. I must hasten to
point out that a person can inhabit this double-acid
condition for many years before death occurs. This pH
progression (or regression) is one the reasons why
both urine and saliva should be tested.

I recently had a client submit their 6-day testing to
me. This woman was a steady sub-5.5 urine pH (5.5
being as low as the pH paper measures), and a steady
6.0 saliva pH. Because of her age (69) I saw cancer in
her metabolism. She informed me she had already had
cancer. I told her she was always tired. She said,
“Tell me about it!” (In this case, from high blood
sugars, not low.) When I mentioned her high blood
sugars, she informed me she did, indeed, have
diabetes.

In her case, along with other specific substances, she
is taking two Coral calcium caps plus 2,000 I.U. of
Vit D per meal. (Vit D also has an alkalinizing affect
on pH.) It is likely she will need to increase the
levels of these nutrients if her pH does not respond
within the next few weeks.

There are other approaches I will consider for her to
aid her body, but pH is the first and most immediate
one.

One more last point: If acid/alkaline-ash foods were
what pH was all about, all you would need to do to
resolve acid pH would be to stir one or two tbsns of
baking soda into some water every day and drink that.
In a short time, your pH would be alkaline. Would it
mean the pH issue was resolved? Not at all.

I think I may have gotten carried away with this post.

Sincerely,

Terry Chamberlin, B.Sc., C.N.C., Bioanalyst
Metabolic Solutions Institute
Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia B0S 1M0 Canada
902-584-3810
msi...@yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com