their mental equal.....debbie

From: da...@alchemysa.com.au
Most of my friends and relatives accept without question that vitamins and
minerals (including metals like iron) are safe to consume in moderate doses and
are essential for good health. Yet when I suggest to some of them that silver
is a safe mineral that kills germs I'm usually greeted with a look of amusement
that visibly turns to horror as it dawns on them that I'm serious. You can just
about see the cogs turning over. (My God... he's a fruitcake and I never
realised it! How many other signs have I missed? Where's the exit?)

If they can't escape, or say what they really think because we are in mixed
company, they try to debate or reason with me using the intuitive arguments of
the skeptic. The link below lists the usual 'tricks' of the skeptic, and its
pretty entertaining.

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/skeptictricks.htm

I recommend you go to the site and read the whole thing because it's not too
long and I didn't write it. But here's my poorly condensed version with some,
occasionally silly, comment added.

Regards
David

TRICKS OF SKEPTICS....

1) RAISING THE BAR , Or IMPOSSIBLE PERFECTION: This trick consists of demanding
a new, higher and more difficult standard of evidence. (A mountain of
testimonials and lab tests will never be enough).
2.) SOCK 'EM WITH OCCAM: Occam's Razor, a principle of knowledge theory states
that the simplest explanation which fits all the facts is to be preferred. (If
you haven't had a cold in 4 years its just because you've been lucky).
3.) EXTRAORDINARY CLAIMS: Extraordinary claims, say the skeptic, require
extraordinary evidence. (Why is the claim that silver kills germs so
extraordinary?)
4.) STUPID, CRAZY LIARS: Researchers who report anything which displeases the
skeptic will be accused of incompetence, mental illness or dishonesty, or some
combination of the three. (You've fallen for a scam.)
5.) THE SANTA CLAUS GAMBIT: (Goes like this. "Oh so you probably believe in
Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny too". Foul language is the only reasonable
answer to that one).
6.) SHIFTING THE BURDEN OF EVIDENCE: The skeptic insists that he doesn't have
to provide evidence to support his side of the argument. ("You're crazy if you
believe that, but my evidence is indisputable... its common knowledge... it
comes from ...er watching TV.")
7.) YOU CAN'T PROVE A NEGATIVE: The skeptic may insist that he is relieved of
the burden of evidence and argument because "you can't prove a negative." (Well
actually theres a ton of evidence proving a lot of approved drugs are much less
effective and far more dangerous dangerous than silver but YOU won't read it. )
8.) THE BIG LIE: (The skeptic says he doesn't take silver but he's perfectly
healthy.)
9.) DOUBT CASTING: This trick consists of dwelling on minor or trivial flaws in
the evidence. (But interestingly this trick doesn't carry any weight when you
try it in reverse, e.g... The Rosemary Jacobs case is over 50 years old and she
never drank colloidal silver in here life but try convincing them of that.)
10.) THE SNEER: (A good time to end the discussion and get another beer)
* * *