The idea is the same as using raw local honey only cheaper, more convenient and more specifically local.
 I think of it as:
A fore warning like "Hey, there's this stuff out here and you're gonna be in it, like it or not" Ready?
and maybe even:
A mental ritual that makes just as little sense as a mental program of allergies. Like "if" it is an unconscious program being run, call it a "bug-fix" upgrade patch...whatever.

Anyhow, I just lick my finger and run it over a cleanish spot of pollen dust on the windshield avoiding the bug guts and bird poop. I keep my windshield pretty clean.
But then
It's not like all that stuff isn't in the air already and bugs aren't edible. Dried figs with unseen bugs in em, dried bugs with unseen figs in em, no big difference.

For the past few years I've had no more problem beyond simple stimulation with pollen so thick that the rivers run yellow with it and the wind kicks up clouds so thick you can hardly see the trees it came off of. It irritates the eyes a little. I sneeze a couple of times. It does like pepper would. [well, pepper is far more of an irritant but it's a mechanical thing rather than bio-war defense reaction]

Thing is, pollen didn't used to bother me past the mechanical, then suddenly it did. What changed? Most likely my head.

Well, that makes no sense, so what I do about it needn't make sense either. If it does make sense....and getting prepared does make sense regardless if the method does or doesn't, so much the better.

 How does that work.
When I was a little kid, I hated going to church and my Dad never went [there was an alternative and I'd druther stack cinder blocks as big as me] , so, I'd loose my shoes.
 Looked high and low, but not  where they were.

Even telepaths can't see inside their own heads...never met any psychic that could. Can't find a program?? Well gee, that's only because I well know where the last place I'd look is. It's in the 'can't happen' file under 'don't look', of course.
  Monkey wrench it all.  Get silly.
 Got a bloodhound chasing you? Doesn't matter why. He's still chasing you.
Stuff your socks up his nose. [so he can't smell the steak in your back pocket]

Sometimes people will tell you why they are allergic to things without knowing they did...just like they'll tell you what they are afraid of.

 Two recurring themes with allergies, "conditionals" and many illnesses:
 This is how hard it has to be for me to think it was worth doing.
I don't want to, but I need a good reason not to or I'll feel really guilty.

A reason is an excuse that everyone accepts, no matter how unreasonable.

LOL I had a lawyer girlfriend who wanted a reason for everything. Mine were never good enough so I'd toss out made up excuses till she said "Well, why didn't you say so to start with?" [DAMN! ..but I got a good lesson about what reason is and how it works ] ..but wait! There's more! [Salesman tosses out one excuse to buy after another till one of them becomes a reason. ]

I can even know exactly why I manifest something extremely painful and still do it, KNOW that I did it and be on crutches for a week. I can know I'm being conned, know every detail of the con, still go for it AND watch myself do it. I am the easiest person on this planet for me to con. Beyond all denial, I know EXACTLY what it takes.
So do you, Mike.  So does everyone.

..went to church barefoot now and then, dang it. [and still hated it ]
 Church sometimes makes my feet hurt to this day.

Experiencing Reality has little to do with "really".
The only reason anyone believes reality is real is because it looks and feels that way...and it sure as heck does.

 If it takes a needle, that's what it takes.
But offering an alternative to stay home and stack cinder blocks in bare feet can't hurt.
[Don't make her admit she hid her shoes]
...maybe sprinkle some Cayenne on the windshield to add a touch of discomfort, at first, to take the place of the prick?

If there is one truth in all this mess, it's that were all freeking nuts and knowing it's so doesn't change it.
..but it does offer an alternative that cuts through the BS.
 No reason at all is as good as any.

 Blocks is blocks, Cinderella.  Pick one and move it.
 Doesn't matter which one. Doesn't matter where to.
 They stack up and they're all just as heavy as you think you are.
 You can't see past them because...they are blocks.
 You can. You have. You will. You are...building your church.
 It's something you cannot not do, barefoot or not.

 PS..before I get off this slippery soap box on cinder blocks..
  No person who can laugh at their own version of truth can ever be depressed.
 After all, am I not the best joke I can imagine?

 [Would God crack a joke He didn't think was funny? ]

LOL  [ouch!!!]  LOL

BTW I hid my shoes under that stack of blocks Saturday evening...Mom would NEVER think to look there. Dad knew it all along. His idea. I think maybe he always knew where church really was, which is, of course, under all the blocks standing barefoot in its own shoes. [ Eternally Surprised ]

"How long before you saw the effect you wanted?"
As long as it took for me to forget to look. I don't remember. [The time was not perceivable? ]

Ode