Dee,

I only offer this comment in the hope that it might help someone. Between
ages 19 and 30 I smoked a pack a day and tried to quit on many occasions.
You probably know the routine. Crumple the pack and throw it away, only to
un-crumple it later, straighten out a cigarette (sometimes using scotch
tape) in order to satisfy the craving. Nothing worked until I studied
something about the mind, visualization, subconscious perception of reality,
etc.

I prepared a side-by-side list of pros and cons to smoking versus not
smoking, and began to visualize myself as a non-smoker. This means that I
practiced seeing myself as a non-smoker, and began to imagine how well I
would feel, how much nicer I would smell, how much more "in control" I would
be as a non smoker. You have to do this exercise for about two weeks before
the subconscious mind accepts the new image of yourself and can support any
decision to stop smoking. All other efforts are difficult and often
impossible because we are using will power, chemicals, gum, etc. in a  fight
against what we really believe about ourselves, which is that we ARE
SMOKERS. The subconscious is always stronger than the conscious will power.
This technique is well known and practiced by athletes in a variety of
disciplines.

Only when the visualized "new self " (Non-smoker) was accepted as real in my
subconscious mind, was I able to just quite suddenly, and never crave it
again, because only then did the subconscious mind agree with my decision to
quit smoking and the fight was over.

On rare occasions, over the years, I have indulged in a few cigarettes or a
cigar, along with some beers when I was in the company of smoker friends.
But the next day it was all forgotten (even regretting the after-taste of
cigars) with no cravings for tobacco. I perceive myself as a non-smoker in
my conscious and subconscious mind so I can smoke on very rare occasions and
never be hooked on it again.

I hope that I offered something worth considering.

Peter